From February to July, we are excited to live in East Asia! We plan on using this space to share our adventures and travels with you
Saturday, January 24, 2009
We're now on the other side of the Earth
After leaving our homes at a ridiculous hour in the morning for the next six months, we're here and still alive! Each of our plane rides was unique. It was Keeyon's first time on a plane, and Des Moines International Airport wasn't super excited about his attempt to bring more liquids that can fit in a quart-size ziplock baggie. Carley and Keeyon met Robert in Chicago to fly across the ocean, and then they had a 13-hour flight to Tokyo! Lydia was a little stressed at first because she wasn’t on the same flight as Carley, Keeyon, and Robert, but it ended up being a little lucky: turns out Buzz Aldrin was on one of her flights (made known via overhead announcement), but unfortunately he wasn’t sporting his moon suit so she couldn’t tell which one he was.
So, after a 1-hour, then 13-hour, then 7-hour, then 2-hour bus ride, we made it to Thailand!!Our hotel is ridiculously nice – complete with five pools, a spa and health center, a library, plush robes and slippers, and about a jillion cool-looking hanging green plants adorning the lobby.Oh and did I mention the beach is just to the right after you walk out the front door?
We haven’t had much time to explore, but we did find Thai Coca-Cola light (the caffeine is REALLY helping us get through Jet Lag!)Carley was ecstatic to find Tim-Tams (a kind of fudge cookie that’s not sold in the US) and we hope to do the Tim-Tam slam (ask Carley for directions on how-to) as a mandatory team-building activity soon!
Abundant green plants,warm sun,and sandy beaches....sounds devine...glad to hear that you are all healthy and enjoying the first days of your journey. The photos are fun and I hope that you'll keep posting them! Love to you all, ~Diane/Mom PS- I still agree with Carley's Dad - Keeyon, stay away from the chickens... :)
Wow, so good to read your update from the hotel in Bangkok! I am sure you are all enjoying getting to know each other better and enjoying the WARM, tropical weather! This will be a great spot for us to feel like we are in-touch with you four! Love and Blessings! Teresa(Mom, too!)
Wow …..What a great place. DiDo on "Abundant green plants, warm sun, and sandy beaches” I wish I could be there with you. You’re going to have the experience of a lifetime. Enjoy your journey and learn / absorb everything that is around you. But,always remember to be SAFE. Please keep the photos coming!
~UPaul (Not a Mom)
PS- What's up with the chickens? (Hummm...OK make sure that they cook them!!!)
YES!! I loooove the robes! Haha!! Carley, I still have your tim-tams that we forgot to do tuesday night!! We should have a tim-tam slam party over skype!!! ok, maybe unrealistic.. but maybe!!! Good pictures :) -Kendra
Abundant green plants,warm sun,and sandy beaches....sounds devine...glad to hear that you are all healthy and enjoying the first days of your journey. The photos are fun and I hope that you'll keep posting them!
ReplyDeleteLove to you all,
~Diane/Mom
PS- I still agree with Carley's Dad - Keeyon, stay away from the chickens... :)
Wow, so good to read your update from the hotel in Bangkok! I am sure you are all enjoying getting to know each other better and enjoying the WARM, tropical weather! This will be a great spot for us to feel like we are in-touch with you four!
ReplyDeleteLove and Blessings!
Teresa(Mom, too!)
Wow …..What a great place. DiDo on "Abundant green plants, warm sun, and sandy beaches” I wish I could be there with you. You’re going to have the experience of a lifetime. Enjoy your journey and learn / absorb everything that is around you. But,always remember to be SAFE.
ReplyDeletePlease keep the photos coming!
~UPaul (Not a Mom)
PS- What's up with the chickens? (Hummm...OK make sure that they cook them!!!)
YES!! I loooove the robes! Haha!!
ReplyDeleteCarley, I still have your tim-tams that we forgot to do tuesday night!! We should have a tim-tam slam party over skype!!!
ok, maybe unrealistic.. but maybe!!!
Good pictures :)
-Kendra